10 May 2011

Rhubarb Chutney - With a little help from Jamie Oliver

My nan loved Jamie Oliver so I'm sure she wouldn't mind a little cheating going on as I took inspiration from this great chef. Here's the rhubarb growing in the garden:

and here's what I made:


Rhubarb Chutney mmmm




Ingredients

500g rhubarb
1 medium onion, finely chopped
100ml cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
1cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
200g sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Preparation

1. Trim and wash the rhubarb, then slice it, into fairly fine chunks.

2. Heat the onion, vinegar, ginger, sugar and salt in a wide-based non-aluminum pan. Bring to a rolling boil for about 5 minutes, then add the rhubarb. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until slightly thickened. If you’re making the chutney to use at a later date, you can put it into a 500ml sterilized jar, still hot, at this point.

3. If you are using the chutney now, let it cool slightly, then serve. Try it over fish, chicken, tofu… Rhubarb chutney will also go with ham, Cheddar, pork or lamb chops, and duck.

2 comments:

  1. I've got some rhubarb to use up, so think I might have a go at your chutney!
    http://greenfingersmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know how it turns out. I was thinking of experimenting with this such as adding apples or maybe even strawberries to it.

    ReplyDelete