7 Jun 2011
Drying Fresh Herbs - How To Dry Herbs At Home
5 Steps On Drying Herbs
1. Harvest the herbs by pinching from the top of the plant and wash them
2. Tie them with a band
3. Hang upside down in a cool place
4.Take down in 2-3 weeks or when dry and brittle
5. Strip leaves and store in an airtight container
The drying process can be sped up by oven drying or microwave drying.
Oven Drying Herbs
Spread the leaves on a baking tray and put the oven on the lowest temperature such as Gas Mark 1for an hour (approx). When dry, roll over with a rolling pin and put herbs in an airtight container.
Microwave Drying Herbs
In the microwave place the herbs between kitchen paper and put on for 30 seconds at a time for 3 minutes and place the herbs in an airtight container.
What Herbs Can Be Dried?
Any herb can be dried but these work really well: Thyme, Basil, Mint, Marjoram, Dill, Chervil, Parsley and Tarragon.
Preserve Herbs By Freezing
You can also keep your herbs in the freezer.
1. Wash and pat dry the herbs.
2. Chop the herbs or rip the leaves and stuff into ice cube trays (silicon trays are the best)
3. Fill the tray half way with water and place in the freezer
4. If the leaves are emerging, add more water and refreeze
5. Keep in the ice cube trays and use by popping a cube into your casserole or soup for added fresh flavour.