25 Jun 2011
Eat It: Mini Pumpkin Pies
Cut the pumpkin in half with a sharp knife, using a rocking motion. Scoop out the seeds. Slice the pumpkin into pieces and cut off the skin.
500g pumpkin into large chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
375g puff pastry
1 tbsp plain flour
1 whole egg
3 large egg yolks
half a split vanilla pod
a pinch of salt
190/Gas Mark 5
1. On a baking tray, pour olive oil over the pumpkin pieces. Evenly coat them, using your hands. Raost until tender. Cool and then mash with a fork.
2. Shape the puff pastry pieces into balls. Roll out each ball until about 6cm diameter. press each piece into a bun tin and put into the fridge.
3. Place a piece of parchment paper into each pastry and fill to the top with baking beans. Bake in the oven then remove the paper and beans.
4. Pour the milk into a pan. Scrape out the vanilla seeds from the pod and add to the milk. Heat the mixture until just below boiling point. Leave to cool a little.
5. Lightly beat the egg yolks, whole egg and treacle in a bowl. Add the flour and salt and beat until smooth. Strain the hot milk over the mixture and heat.
6. Pour the smootj mixture into a pan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the pumpkin puree.
7. Spoon out the mixture evenly into the pastry cases. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until just firm and slightly puffed up. Serve the pies warm with a dusting of icing sugar on the top if you wish.